Pentagon To Deploy 5,000 Troops To Southern Border Ahead Of Migrant Caravan

img_5813-1

 

Washington, D.C.–The Pentagon said on Monday morning that the Department of Defense plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the border ahead of the migrant caravan that is making it’s way toward the United States. About 2,100 National Guard troops are already patrolling the border region under an order from President Trump earlier this year.

Administration officials said last week that they had planned to only deploy 1,000 troops to the region, however that number increased  Monday morning to 5,000.

The Department of Defense also confirmed that troops would not be expected to conduct law enforcement duties, but rather provide backup for Customs and Border Protection agents.

President George W. Bush sent 6,000 troops to the border during his administration, while President Obama sent a total of 1,200 troops.

A spokesperson at the Pentagon told Texas Take on Monday that the this operation was under the total direction of the CBP and the DoD troops would in fact answer only to that agency during the operation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s